This episode features Kali Kingsley, a 2011 graduate from the U.S. Air Force Academy. In this episode, you’ll hear how a challenging first year at the Academy really pushed Kali to question her desire to stay in the military, and how her experiences with women – both in leadership roles and as classmates – sent her on a personal mission to create something better for the women she serves with. This is a powerful episode that demonstrates the importance of fostering bonds with our Service Academy sisters. Enjoy the show!
KEY TOPICS OF DISCUSSION:
- Wanting to go to medical school.
- Being super feminine and wanting to join the military.
- Having a rough first year at the Academy.
- Struggling with a tough female leader.
- Not feeling connected to other female classmates.
- Wanting to be part of the change.
- Can you tell everyone where you’re from? What school you went to and when you graduated?
- Can you give everyone 1-2 lines about who you are?
1:54 PART I:
- What made you choose a Service Academy – and what made you specifically choose the U.S. Air Force Academy?
- What intrigued you about the Academies?
- Was their military in your family?
- How did your family and friends feel about your decision to go to an Academy?
- Did a lot of people from your school go to an Academy?
11:04 PART II:
- If you had to sum up your time at the Academy in one word, what would it be?
- Tell me about your first day and first summer.
- Were you an athlete in high school?
- What was the transition like moving from basic to your academic year?
19:30 PART III:
- What were some of the highlights of your time at the Academy?
- Having struggles with a female officer in charge during her first year.
- How did you get through that first year and why did you decide to stay?
- Deciding to be part of the change.
31:48 PART IV:
- Talking about her 21st birthday and her struggles with female relationships.
- Tell me a little more about your academic journey.
- What was the plan as you were approaching graduation and what did you end up doing?
41:32 PART V:
- How did your career unfold?
- Struggling with females during Intelligence Officer Training.
51:55 CONCLUDING THOUGHTS:
- How do you currently feel about your decision to attend an Academy?
- What’s next for you?
- Do you have any parting words for listeners? Perhaps a key message to your fellow Service Academy sisters?
- What’s one random fun fact about you?
- Where can people reach you?
In addition, if you enjoy what you heard here today, don’t forget to subscribe to the podcast and leave us a review. And if you’d like to be featured on an upcoming episode, please feel free to submit your contact information on our website here.
Like, share, rate, subscribe. Thanks!!
Find us on iTunes!