This episode features Deanna Franzen, a 2010 graduate from the U.S. Air Force Academy. In this episode, you’ll hear why Deanna pivoted away from a lifelong dream of owning a dance studio to instead developing a desire to serve and join the military; how a small mistake her first year at the Academy altered the trajectory of her entire career; and how she’s used her clarity and determination to find her dream job as a lawyer back in her home state of Texas. Enjoy the show!
KEY TOPICS OF DISCUSSION:
- Having a lifelong dream to own a dance studio
- Being impacted by 9/11
- Going to New Mexico Military Institute (NMMI)
- Joining Mock Trial by mistake and changing her career path as a result
- Becoming a Logistics Officer when that wasn’t what she wanted
- Pivoting towards a career in law
- Dealing with imposter syndrome
- Can you tell everyone where you’re from? What school you went to and when you graduated?
- Can you give everyone 1-2 lines about who you are?
1:38 PART I:
- What made you choose a Service Academy – and what made you specifically choose the U.S. Air Force Academy?
- Being confronted by a teacher her senior year of high school about options after graduation.
- Feeling behind the curve in applying to the Academies.
- Was there any military in your family?
- Did you visit the Air Force Academy when you decided it was where you wanted to go?
- Finding out she had a medical condition she wasn’t even aware of.
- Having to go to NMMI.
8:30 PART II:
- How did you feel about needing to go to NMMI?
- What did you want to do post graduation when you were applying to the Academies?
- What was it like at NMMI?
- If you had to sum up your time at the Academy in one world, what would it be?
- How was your first day at the Academy?
18:28 PART III:
- What happens when you enter the academic year? How does that go?
- What are some of the highlights of your time at the Academy?
- Getting involved in the mock trial club.
25:53 PART IV:
- At what time did the focus shift from being involved in languages?
- Other highlights of her time at the Academy.
- Are there any major lowlights of your time at the Academy?
- Dealing with imposter syndrome.
36:00 PART V:
- Dealing with a difficult roommate.
- How was life post-graduation?
- Finding her way in the field of logistics.
- Fulfilling her desire to serve.
46:00 CONCLUDING THOUGHTS:
- Tell me the path to how you got to today as a lawyer.
- Creating her own path to getting back to Texas and getting into law school.
- What’s next for you?
- How do you currently feel about your decision to attend an Academy?
- Do you have any parting words for listeners? Perhaps a key message to your fellow Service Academy sisters?
- What’s one random fun fact about you?
- Where can people reach you?
Thanks for listening and don’t forget to visit us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and LinkedIn.
In addition, if you enjoy what you heard here today, don’t forget to subscribe to the podcast and leave us a review. And if you’d like to be featured on an upcoming episode, please feel free to submit your contact information on our website here.
Like, share, rate, subscribe. Thanks!!
Find us on iTunes!