This episode features Ashley Keller, a 2010 graduate from the U.S. Military Academy. In this episode, you’ll hear about Ashley’s desire and commitment to serve, as well as a few difficult decisions she had to make to stay true to herself, including giving up the opportunity to pursue a path towards the Olympics. You’ll also learn why Ashley eventually decided to leave the military and how she evolved from being an Army engineer to a mother with a super successful YouTube channel. Enjoy the show!
KEY TOPICS OF DISCUSSION:
- Being recruited for running.
- Deciding to serve over training for the Olympics.
- Losing her position as a combat engineer due to being a woman.
- Deciding to leave the military after entering motherhood.
- Using skills from the military to build a business.
- Can you tell everyone where you’re from? What school you went to and when you graduated?
- Can you give everyone 1-2 lines about who you are?
1:55 PART I:
- What made you choose a Service Academy – and what made you specifically choose West Point?
- What was the reaction to your decision to go to an Academy?
- Did you consider the other Academies at all?
- How was the application process?
9:00 PART II:
- What was the first day and the first summer like for you?
- Did you feel prepared for the Academy?
- How was it once you entered the academic year? Were you clear with what you wanted to study?
- If you had to sum up your time at the Academy in one word, what would it be?
15:15 PART III:
- What were some of the highlights of your time at the Academy?
- What was your major?
21:15 PART IV:
- Were there any lowlights at the Academy?
- What did you want to do post graduation?
- What does an engineer in the Army do?
- How was it being a woman at the Academy?
30:21 PART V:
- What was the plan after graduation?
- What was the start of your career as an engineer like?
- Being removed as a combat engineer due to being a woman.
- What it was like to be deployed to Afghanistan as a cultural support team.
42:30 PART VI:
- Having a baby and deciding to get out of the military.
- Choosing to serve instead of training for the Olympics.
- Starting a YouTube channel post-military.
- What was the transition out of the military like?
42:30 CONCLUDING THOUGHTS:
- How do you feel about your decision to attend a federal service academy?
- Do you have any parting words for listeners? Perhaps a key message to your fellow Service Academy sisters?
- What’s one random fun fact about you?
- Where can people reach you?
In addition, if you enjoy what you heard here today, don’t forget to subscribe to the podcast and leave us a review. And if you’d like to be featured on an upcoming episode, please feel free to submit your contact information on our website here.
Like, share, rate, subscribe. Thanks!!
Find us on iTunes!
Running, Olympics, Triathlete, Engineer, Motherhood, YouTube, Influencer, Entrepreneur