This episode features Abigail Robson, a 2007 graduate from the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy. In this episode, you’ll hear how Abby grew up around ships and knew she wanted to join the merchant marine from a very young age; her struggles adjusting to the military lifestyle at Kings Point; how her priorities evolved and changed, both at the Academy and during her career; and how she ultimately decided to pivot away from sailing towards a new career as a pastry chef. This episode is a lot of fun, especially as Abby dives into the ways in which she’s been able to transfer her skills from sailing to baking. Enjoy the show!
KEY TOPICS OF DISCUSSION:
- Growing up around ships and sailing.
- Attending a Service Academy without fully understanding the military lifestyle.
- Deciding to pivot away from sailing and become a pastry chef.
- Can you tell everyone where you’re from? What school you went to and when you graduated?
- Can you give everyone 1-2 lines about who you are?
1:45 PART I:
- What made you choose a Service Academy – and what made you specifically choose the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy?
- Wanting to follow her dad’s footsteps going to KP.
- What about the maritime industry caught your eye growing up?
- Was it a struggle for you to get in or was it pretty straight forward?
10:00 PART II:
- How did you feel about the military aspect of the Academy?
- Did you make a trip up to visit before you went?
- If you had to sum up your time at the Academy in one word, what would it be?
- Tell me about indoc and your introduction to the regiment.
- How did you do once the academic year hit?
20:00 PART III:
- What was your goal? Did you know whether you wanted to go deck or engine?
- Let’s dive into some of your highlights at the Academy.
- Making the decision to leave the dinghy sailing team.
- The highs and lows of sea year.
30:55 PART IV:
- Were there any major lowlights you want to share?
- What were the key lessons you learned at the Academy?
- What was the plan as you approached graduation?
- Her experience on her first job post graduation.
41:00 PART V:
- What was your experience being a woman on a ship as an officer?
- Getting a reputation for being tough.
- Did you like your time sailing?
- Transitioning out of sailing and trying to figure out what to do next.
49:00 CONCLUDING THOUGHTS:
- How she started out as a pastry chef.
- Learning that she’s creative.
- What’s next for you?
- How do you currently feel about your decision to attend an Academy?
- Do you have any parting words for listeners? Perhaps a key message to your fellow Service Academy sisters?
- What’s one random fun fact about you?
- Where can people reach you?
In addition, if you enjoy what you heard here today, don’t forget to subscribe to the podcast and leave us a review. And if you’d like to be featured on an upcoming episode, please feel free to submit your contact information on our website here.
Like, share, rate, subscribe. Thanks!!
Find us on iTunes!