This episode features Michelle Thibeau, a 2014 graduate from the U.S. Military Academy. In this episode, you’ll hear Michelle talk about some tough lessons she had to learn about integrity and honor very early on during her time at the Academy, how she was able to overcome these hardships – not let them define her – and graduate on a high note, and how she relentlessly puts herself out on a limb to pursue her interests and goals – both in the Army and beyond. Enjoy the show!
KEY TOPICS OF DISCUSSION:
- Facing an honor, frat, and alcohol board at the Academy.
- Having her integrity questioned multiple times.
- Overcoming career barriers due to being a woman.
- Can you tell everyone where you’re from? What school you went to and when you graduated?
- Can you give everyone 1-2 lines about who you are?
1:25 PART I:
- What made you choose a Service Academy – and what made you specifically choose the U.S. Military Academy?
- Looking for a school that would create a path that gave her the most independence
- How did your parents feel about your desire to attend an Academy?
10:30 PART II:
- Was getting into the Academy a struggle for you?
- If you had to sum up your time at the Academy in one word what would it be?
- What were some of the highlights of your time at the Academy?
- Her time on the cycling team and Sandhurst team.
- How was the first summer for you?
21:10 PART III:
- Were you clear with what you wanted to major in and what your goals were?
- Were there any other major highlights or memorable moments you’d like to share?
- Trying out for the Ecuadorian Jungle School.
29:00 PART IV:
- What are some of the lowlights of your time at the Academy?
- Getting written up for an honor, alcohol, fraternization board.
- Having her integrity constantly questioned.
39:28 PART V:
- As you approached graduation, what was the plan?
- How did it feel knowing you weren’t going to graduate on time?
- Going to Korea as her first station.
- Moving to Hawaii for her second post.
- Becoming part of a Cultural Support Team(CST).
- Wanting to command an infantry company.
- How getting pregnant impacted her career path.
- Deciding to get out of the military.
54:50 CONCLUDING THOUGHTS:
- How do you currently feel about your decision to attend an Academy?
- Where are you now and what’s next for you?
- Do you have any parting words for listeners? Perhaps a key message to your fellow Service Academy sisters?
- What’s one random fun fact about you?
- Where can people reach you?
In addition, if you enjoy what you heard here today, don’t forget to subscribe to the podcast and leave us a review. And if you’d like to be featured on an upcoming episode, please feel free to submit your contact information on our website here.
Like, share, rate, subscribe. Thanks!!
Find us on iTunes!