This episode features Lis Reed, a 2010 graduate from the U.S. Naval Academy. In this episode, you’ll hear all about Lis’s lifelong journey towards a career in aviation, including the highs and lows of her time at the Academy, as well as the sudden and difficult transition she had to make out of the military post-graduation. This episode is a great example of perseverance and illuminates how even with the best laid plans, sometimes we have to pivot; Lis does this beautifully and you’ll learn how she picked up the pieces to create an amazing life and business. Enjoy the show!
KEY TOPICS OF DISCUSSION:
- Wanting to be a pilot since childhood
- Taking a gap year between high school and the Academy.
- Attending an Academy with a hidden learning disability
- Taking advantage of different opportunities while at the Academy.
- Struggling with panic attacks at the Academy.
- Failing out of flight school
- Can you tell everyone where you’re from? What school you went to and when you graduated?
- Can you give everyone 1-2 lines about who you are?
1:35 PART I:
- What made you choose a Service Academy – and what made you specifically choose the U.S. Naval Academy?
- Is there a history of military in your family?
- How was the process of applying?
- Taking a gap year before going to the Academy.
- What were you doing in New Zealand?
10:45 PART II:
- How did that first summer at the Naval Academy go?
- If you had to sum up your time at the Academy in one word, what would it be?
- What were some of the highpoints of your time at the Academy?
- Did you play a sport while you were there?
20:30 PART III:
- How did Academics go for you at the Academy?
- Struggling with a learning disability without medication.
- What were some of the lowlights during your time at the Academy?
- Struggling with panic attacks.
34:00 PART IV:
- Were there any major lessons learned while at the Academy?
- What was the plan as you were approaching graduation?
- Failing out of flight school.
44:00 PART V:
- Tell me about your transition out of the military.
- The ups and downs of figuring out what to do next.
- Her inspiration for starting her own company.
51:50 CONCLUDING THOUGHTS:
- How do you currently feel about your decision to attend an Academy?
- What’s next for you?
- Do you have any parting words for listeners? Perhaps a key message to your fellow Service Academy sisters?
- What’s one random fun fact about you?
- Where can people reach you?
In addition, if you enjoy what you heard here today, don’t forget to subscribe to the podcast and leave us a review. And if you’d like to be featured on an upcoming episode, please feel free to submit your contact information on our website here.
Like, share, rate, subscribe. Thanks!!
Find us on iTunes!