This episode features Gaby Cavins, a 2014 graduate from The United States Naval Academy (USNA). You’ll get to hear all about her experiences rising above a variety of challenges both at the Academy and beyond – everything from struggling academically to leaving a lasting legacy by co-founding the school’s dance team to balancing life as a mother and military officer to eventually transitioning out of the Navy and becoming a breastfeeding advocate for working parents. Enjoy the show!
KEY TOPICS OF DISCUSSION:
- Rising above academic struggles at the Academy
- Struggling to overcome perfectionism and eating issues
- Balancing motherhood and military life
- Colocation and deciding to leave the Navy
- Can you tell everyone where you’re from? What school you went to and when you graduated?
- Can you give everyone 1-2 lines about who you are?
2:00 PART I:
- What made you choose a Service Academy – and what made you specifically choose the USNA?
- Did you have plans to dance at the Academy?
- When you arrived at the Academy, did you have a good sense about what you were getting into?
- How did the first summer go for you?
12:06 PART II:
- If you had to sum up your time at the Academy in one word, what would it be?
- Struggling and feeling like a failure.
- What were some of your high points and most memorable experiences at the Academy?
- What were your goals?
23:00 PART III:
- Struggling with disordered eating.
- Starting a dance team that still exists today.
- Any other low-lights from your time at the Academy?
31:37 PART IV:
- What are some of the lessons learned and key takeaways from your time at the Academy?
- How did things unfold as you approached graduation?
- How did your parents view your trajectory post graduation?
39:04 PART V:
- How was your first ship as a Surface Warfare Officer?
- How long did you stay in the Navy?
- Learning how to navigate being pregnant in the Navy.
- Did you feel as though you made good connections with people during your time in the Navy?
44:13 PART VI:
- What was the catalyst for you leaving the Navy?
- How did your time at the Academy impact your life post Navy?
- Navigating motherhood and breastfeeding while in the Navy.
50:45 CONCLUDING THOUGHTS:
- What are you currently doing?
- How do you currently feel about your decision to attend an Academy?
- What’s next for you?
- Do you have any parting words for listeners? Perhaps a key message to your fellow Service Academy sisters?
- What’s one random fun fact about you?
- Where can people reach you?
Company Website: https://mommawork.com/
Thanks for listening and don’t forget to visit us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and LinkedIn.
In addition, if you enjoy what you heard here today, don’t forget to subscribe to the podcast and leave us a review. And if you’d like to be featured on an upcoming episode, please feel free to submit your contact information on our website here.
Like, share, rate, subscribe. Thanks!!
Find us on iTunes!
[…] Being part of the first Naval Academy dance team (Gaby Cavins from Episode 6 was the captain. You can hear her story here). […]